Search Sponsored by:
Sunday, July 24, 2016
Canajoharie, NY ,

Joshua Thomas
The Minden Town Board, clockwise, from left, Town Clerk Janet Trumbull, Councilperson Thomas Yager, Councilperson KarolAnn Grimm, Supervisor Cheryl Reese, Attorney John Kirkpatrick, Councilperson Douglas Simmons, and Councilperson Steve Heiser.


Council hears presentation from Simmons Recovery Consulting

Thursday, January 23, 2014 - Updated: 7:18 AM


C-S-E Editor

MINDEN -- During January's Minden Town Board meeting, held last Thursday, John Simmons, of Simmons Recovery Consulting, made a presentation to the board at the request of Supervisor Cheryl Reese, informing them of the flood-related services the company provides.

Councilmember Steve Heiser asked Simmons, "what exactly are you going to do?" to which Simmons replied, "whatever you want us to do." Of SRC, he said, "most of our work involves risk assessment and advice for the town or village." SRC also does necessary paperwork, accounting, filing appeals with FEMA and reviewing what has been done to date to figure out if anything has been overlooked.

"The immediate worry appears to be figuring out where you stand," explained Simmons, who noted that FEMA is scheduled to leave the area sometime between Jan. 22-28. He said that the process would include figuring out what has been done so far, if it was done correctly, and whether the paperwork filed will retrieve the most money possible for the municipality. 

After FEMA leaves, Simmons stated, "you still have a year or two of effort in the recovery," which may include documenting costs and collecting money.

After talking with Reese and Highway Superintendent Scott Crewell prior to the meeting, Simmons was informed that there is still open paperwork to be done.

FEMA usually funds 12.5 percent of the SRC's payment, with the municipality picking up 12.5 percent as well. The state government, who is currently reimbursing SRC's services at 75 percent, could possibly pick up the municipality's percentage, meaning it's possible that they won't be required to pay anything. 

On the other hand, the state could decide not to pay more than the 75 percent they've already agreed to, leaving the town responsible for paying 25 percent of the service cost.

Simmons suggested they sign a test contract, which would cost approximately $9,000 (a maximum of $11,000), in full, for 30 days, with a limited number of hours attached (for instance, Simmons suggested, two days per week, eight hours per day).

The municipality would be responsible for paying the full tab at first, and would then wait for reimbursement. Out of the $11,000 maximum, the town would be responsible for about $2,750 if the government only picked up 75 percent of the tab.


Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article


Most Popular

  • Viewed
  • Commented
  • Emailed
  1. Dozens gather to discuss former Beech-Nut site's future(590)
  2. Fort Plain Mayor Guy Barton dies at 69(468)
  3. Fort Plain spring athletes receive awards(341)
  4. Canajoharie baseball player Myron Grimshaw to be honored July 10(320)
  5. CHS gives 67 seniors a proper send off(317)
  6. Police Reports - 07/01/2016(272)
  7. OESJ graduates 55 during Third Annual Commencement(258)
  8. Fort Plain CSD graduates 58 during Saturday morning commencement(254)
  9. Guy Barton laid to rest following public memorial(253)
  10. Canajoharie's water places third in nationwide test(249)

Copyright © McClary Media, Inc.

Privacy Policies: Courier Standard Enterprise

Contact Us