Advertisement
Search Sponsored by:
Sunday, July 24, 2016
Canajoharie, NY ,

Joshua Thomas - Flames gutted this two-story wood-frame home of town of Canajoharie resident Melvin Donato early Friday afternoon, leaving the 380 Fredericks St. resident homeless.

Joshua Thomas - Flames gutted this two-story wood-frame home of town of Canajoharie resident Melvin Donato early Friday afternoon, leaving the 380 Fredericks St. resident homeless.

Advertisement

Pellet stove blamed in fire that leaves man homeless

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - Updated: 9:07 AM

By LINDA KELLETT

C-S-E News Staff

TOWN OF CANAJOHARIE — One man is homeless after flames ravaged his two-story wood-frame home here on Friday afternoon.

Canajoharie Fire Chief Frank Nestle said Melvin Donato, the owner of the roughly 125-year-old structure at 380 Fredericks St., lost everything.

“It was a total loss,” Nestle said. “Nothing could be saved. There’s a couple of walls standing but the roof is into the first floor at this time.”

Nestle said the homeowner had no insurance.

Fortunately Donato was not home at the time. “He was at work,” said Nestle.

There were no reports of injuries.

Nestle said the cause of the 1:56 p.m. blaze has been attributed to a malfunction in the pellet stove.

“It got a head start on us,” he said, noting that by the time fire crews arrived, the front windows had blown out, and the fire was burning fiercely.

The wind was also blowing a little, which fanned the flames battled by Canajoharie, Rural Grove, Ames, Fort Plain and South Minden firefighters. Firefighters from Ephratah and Charleston Fire Departments were on standby at area stations.

Others responding to the fire scene were Mid-County Ambulance personnel, the Montgomery County Emergency Management Office and the Montgomery County Cause and Origin Team, who investigated, said Nestle.

Firefighters were at the Fredericks Street location until 8:30 or 9 p.m. Friday, primarily trying to address hot spots in areas where the structure had fallen in, he said. They were called back to the scene at around 6:10 a.m. in response to a flare-up.

Nestle said Donato declined Red Cross assistance. He is currently staying with friends.

Members of a local church reportedly want to reach out to the owner to assist him with clothing needs. Additional information about that initiative was not available at press time.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Advertisement

Most Popular

  • Viewed
  • Commented
  • Emailed
  1. Dozens gather to discuss former Beech-Nut site's future(581)
  2. Fort Plain Mayor Guy Barton dies at 69(466)
  3. Fort Plain spring athletes receive awards(338)
  4. Canajoharie baseball player Myron Grimshaw to be honored July 10(319)
  5. CHS gives 67 seniors a proper send off(316)
  6. Police Reports - 07/01/2016(268)
  7. OESJ graduates 55 during Third Annual Commencement(257)
  8. Fort Plain CSD graduates 58 during Saturday morning commencement(252)
  9. Guy Barton laid to rest following public memorial(251)
  10. Canajoharie's water places third in nationwide test(248)
Advertisement

Copyright © McClary Media, Inc.

Privacy Policies: Courier Standard Enterprise

Contact Us