Advertisement
Search Sponsored by:
Saturday, August 30, 2014
Canajoharie, NY ,

WOTM Erects First Highway Safety Sign on Route 5S:
Highway safety signs to be erected on all main routes entering Canajoharie and Palatine Bridge have been purchased by the publicity committee of the Women of the Moose, No. 987, with Mrs. Barbara Van Slyke, Palatine Bridge, and Mrs. Hazel Smith, Canajoharie, as chairman of the project.
The signs are being erected by members of the Loyal Order of Moose. Pictured above at the first sig, which was erected Saturday afternoon, July 11, 1959, on Route 5S near the entrance of the Canajoharie, are, from left, Mrs. Mary Putnam, Deputy Grand Regent; Mrs. Van Slyke, College of Regents and publicity committee member; Chief of Police Fred Schrader, Canajoharie; Mayor Clarence Mickel, Palatine Bridge; Mayor Lewis Baker, Canajoharie; Eli Hall, LOOM Governor; Mrs. Gertrude Hall, Senior Regent, WOTM; John Matthews, LOOM trustee; Fred Polenski, past governor; and Seymour Meyers, junior governor.

Advertisement

Looking Back - 07/18/2013

Thursday, July 18, 2013 - Updated: 1:36 AM

-- Canajoharie

Twenty Years Ago

Central National Bank recognized the historic site of Reuff's Tavern, located in front of the bank's main office, Church Street, Canajoharie by placing an updated historical marker. This official New York State Education Department marker represents a site that dates back to 1750, when a structure was built by Hendrick Schrembling. In 1778 it became Johannes Reuff's Tavern. In 1779 the tavern became Gen. James Clinton's headquarters, and in 1783 Gen George Washington visited here and spoke to the people of Canajoharie. In 1812, the structure was used as a recruiting office for the War of 1812. By the end of 1850, the building had been demolished. After 1850, the property became the site of the Wagner Hotel, which was widely recognized for its outstanding accommodations and was visited by people from throughout Central New York. The famous Hotel also was used as a resting place for travelers passing through via the railroad.

Thirty Years Ago

The new Nice 'N Easy, next to Herkimer Petroleum, Erie Boulevard, opened for business.

Canajoharie's ninth annual Open Market is set with walking tours, a block dance, an ice cream social, a band concert and a spelling bee rounding out some of the activities.

Eagle Scout Jeffrey H. Mickle, 16, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Mickle, Maple Avenue, recently finished second statewide in the American Legion's Boy Scout of the Year selections.

John P. Woods Jr., and Garth MacFarland were elected for their second consecutive terms as president and vice president, respectively, for the Canajoharie Central School Board of Education.

Rol Littrell, Canajoharie, finished 11th out of a field of 350 in the Fifth Annual Lake Moraine Race, Hamilton.

Forty Years Ago

Services were held for the last time in the 178-year-old structure of the Ames Baptist Church, Latimer Hill Road, as the new Ames Baptist Church building is set to be dedicated in the near future.

Malcolm Pulver was elected president of the Canajoharie Central School Board of Education at the annual reorganizational meeting. He succeeds Ralph McEwan.

Frank Chuck, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Chuck Sr., Montgomery Street, was appointed laboratory supervisor at Kodak Zambia Ltd., a subsidiary of the Eastman Kodak Company, and part of the Asian, African and Middle Eastern region of the International Photographic Division.

-- Fort Plain

Twenty Years Ago

The state Department of Transportation will be funding the $300,000 replacement of waterlines under the streets of downtown Fort Plain as part of its highway improvement project scheduled to begin in the spring of 1994. Mayor Albert Nalli, at a recent meeting of the Village Board, related the information which was the result of a meeting held at DOT's Region 2 headquarters in Utica. The meeting, Nalli said, came about as the result of a recent letter the village received from Stephen J. Zywiak, DOT Region 2 design engineer.

Everyone loves to watch an airplane fly, especially if it's operated by radio signals from the ground. The students in Fort Plain Central School Technology Instructor Jeff Chapple's class have begun to unlock the secrets of that which eluded man for centuries, the ability to soar through the air as birds on the wing. Dave Dingman and Clint King were the aeronautic technicians who built this plane.

The Arkell and Smiths annual reunion will be held at the home of Howard and Mauricette Nare, 820 Indian Rd., Fort Plain. A covered dish lunch will be served at 1 p.m. Former workers, families and friends are all invited.

Thirty Years Ago

Christa Herting, Fort Plain RD 2, has indicated her intentions to be a contestant in the Miss Montgomery County Teen-Age Pageant to be held in the Amsterdam Mall.

John Cunnan was unanimously elected president of the Fort Plain Central School Board of Education at a recent annual reorganizational meeting.

Reaction to the prospect of paying county taxes on an installment basis met with general acceptance of the Minden Town Board at a recent meeting.

A young Holstein sire, acquired from Zelson Farms, Fort Plain, has entered Midwest Breeders Cooperative's Young sire Sampling Program.

Forty Years Ago

The Fort Plain Student Union conducted a 12-mile walk-a-thon from Fort Plain to St. Johnsville and back, for the purpose of raising money for the union.

-- St. Johnsville

Twenty Years Ago

After several months of bandying back and forth between the New York state Thruway Authority and various engineering study consulting firms, the Thruway Authority agreed to hire a firm to conduct an economic impact study of placement of a Thruway Interchange in the St. Johnsville-Minden area. The agreement settles a dispute that began in February over the Thruway exit proposal, which dates back a number of years. It would address a section of the state highway, which is the second longest one on the Thruway between existing exits, about 16 and a-half miles.

Robert Faduski was elected chairman and Robert Failing, vice chairman, at the first meeting of the recently reactivated St. Johnsville Urban Renewal Agency. Originally created in 1972, the agency, in recent years, was run by the Village Board of Trustees. Recently, citing the need for a vigorous economic and community development policy, the board of trustees removed itself as the governing agent and selected a new board of directors. In addition to Faduski and Failing, the board consists of William Austin, Peter Corso and Carmen Licari.

Thirty Years Ago

Members of the Palatine Settlement Society interested in saving the Old Stone Store were given a 90-day reprieve. In action taken recently, the Village Board answered a written request from the society to stave off demolition of the 150-year-old landmark, to allow time for a study into the feasibility of restoring the building as a museum.

Gerald Gray was reelected president and Robert Peruzzi, vice president of the Oppenheim-Ephratah Central School Board of Education during the annual reorganizational meeting.

Forty Years Ago

Patrolman Fred B. Wolcott was one of 28 who completed the state mandated basic training course conducted at Mohawk Valley Community College, Utica.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © Port Jackson Media, LLC.

Privacy Policies: Courier Standard Enterprise

Contact Us