Advertisement
Search Sponsored by:
Friday, October 31, 2014
Canajoharie, NY ,

Joshua Thomas
The 63 Center St. garage that burned down during a Wednesday afternoon fire is removed.

Joshua Thomas
Fort Plain and Canajoharie fire departments doused a garage fire at 63 Center St. Wednesday afternoon.

Joshua Thomas
A Fort Plain Fire Department member douses a hotspot.

Joshua Thomas
The side of the neighboring home at 61 Center St. melted due to the intensity of heat from Wednesday's fire.

Advertisement

Garage fire sends 8-year-old to hospital with severe burns

Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Updated: 9:58 AM

By JOSHUA THOMAS

C-S-E Editor

FORT PLAIN -- A garage fire at 63 Center Street Wednesday afternoon injured two people, sending an eight-year-old neighborhood boy to the hospital with second and third degree burns.

Fort Plain Police Chief Robert Thomas III said the fire started in the garage, where three minors, all around the same age, were playing. Two of the boys escaped injury, while the other suffered second and third degree burns over 40 percent of his body.

The boy's father suffered burns to his hands "when he tried to render aid to the other victim," according to Thomas. 

The young victim and his father were neighborhood residents, though neither lived in the two-family home attached to the garage. Though residents of the partially burned house were home during the incident, they escaped unharmed.

Thomas said that several calls were placed to 911, with an initial request for emergency service coming in at 3:07 p.m. Upon arrival, Thomas said "the garage was fully involved." The Fort Plain Fire Department arrived on scene within 90 seconds. Thomas said Fire Chief Jeffery Smith arrived first, and immediately began "putting water directly on the fire".

The Canajoharie Fire Department provided mutual aid.

GAVAC also arrived quickly, treating the victims on scene prior to transporting the boy to SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, via a LifeNet chopper that landed at the Fort Plain Jr./Sr. High School.

The second victim was released after receiving on-site medical attention.

A bulk of the fire -- which damaged two residences, including the neighboring 61 Center Street property, the side of which melted because of he intense heat -- was doused in about ten minutes.

Fire Chief Jeffery Smith said that even after the main portion of the fire was extinguished, it took a significant amount of time to remove the garage, with assistance from the Town of Minden Highway Department, in an effort to make sure there were no hotspots between the garage and connected residence.

The garage, said Smith, was also torn down as a safety precaution, as the rafters had burned through.

Prior to the arrival of Fort Plain and Canajoharie fire departments, a good samaritan unsuccessfully tried to douse the flames with a garden hose.

Smith noted that upon their arrival, the Fort Plain Fire Department were told that a male was trapped inside the burning structure. After a search of the property, they realized he had escaped the blaze. The fire department also successfully removed animals from the property.

Of the fire's origin, Thomas said an investigation is ongoing, though he explained, "We don't suspect any foul play. We don't suspect an electrical issue."

The fire, he said, is not suspicious or criminal.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © Port Jackson Media, LLC.

Privacy Policies: Courier Standard Enterprise

Contact Us