Search Sponsored by:
Sunday, April 20, 2014
Canajoharie, NY ,

Fire prevention tips from the Canajoharie Fire Dept.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - Updated: 9:36 PM

For most, the holiday season represents a time for family festivities and good cheer. What few people might consider is that the holiday season is a time when there is an increased risk of home fires. According to Canajoharie Volunteer Fire Department, many households engage in holiday activities that serve as some of the leading causes of U.S. home fires, including cooking. 

By following these fire prevention tips and measure, you can greatly reduce the risk of fire in your home.

With unattended cooking as the leading cause of U.S. home fires and home fire injuries, The Canajoharie Fire Fighters would like to remind you to stay in the kitchen while you’re frying, grilling or broiling food. Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop, and turn off the stove when you leave the kitchen, even if it’s for a short period of time. 

If you’re simmering, boiling, baking or roasting food, check it regularly and use a timer so you don't forget that you're cooking. The department also suggests creating a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food and drinks are prepared or carried.

December is the peak month for home candle fires. The Canajoharie Volunteer Fire Department encourages residents to consider using flameless candles, which look and smell like real candles. However, if you do use traditional candles, keep them at least 12” away from anything that can burn, and remember to blow them out when you leave the room or go to bed. Use candle holders that are sturdy, won’t tip over and are placed on uncluttered surfaces. Avoid using candles in the bedroom, where one-third of U.S. candle fires begin. Lastly, never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle.

According to NFPA, U.S. fire departments respond to 230 home structure fires caused by Christmas trees each year. One of every three of them is caused by electrical problems, and one in five resulted from a heat source that’s too close to the tree. 

The Canajoharie Fire Department offers the following advice for picking, placing and lighting the tree: If you have an artificial tree, be sure it’s labeled, certified or identified by the manufacturer as fire-retardant. If you choose a fresh tree, make sure the green needles don’t fall off when touched. Before placing it in the stand, cut 1-2” from the base of the trunk. Add water to the tree stand, and be sure to water it daily. Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit, and is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, space heaters, radiators, candles and heat vents or lights. Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory, and make sure you know whether they are designed for indoor or outdoor use. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords, or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini-string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Never use lit candles to decorate the tree. Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving the home or going to bed.

After Christmas, get rid of the tree. Dried-out trees are a fire hazard and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside the home. Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards and make them last longer.


Comments made about this article - 0 Total


Most Popular

  • Viewed
  • Commented
  • Emailed
  1. Pack Ethic Rescue, Inc. helps animals in need with donor and volunteer help(993)
  2. Longtime coach approaches 700 mark in career wins(138)
  3. Vroman seeking Assembly seat(127)
  4. Editorial - 03/27/2014(127)
  5. OESJ Board in final contract negotiations with ex-superintendent(124)
  6. Police Reports - 04/10/2014(116)
  7. Roads getting financial help(115)
  8. Warm weather draws out local bunnies for Lions Club Easter Egg Hunt(109)
  9. Editorial - 04/03/2014(106)
  10. Ranking the area's Top 20 is no easy task(106)

Copyright © Port Jackson Media, LLC.

Privacy Policies: Courier Standard Enterprise

Contact Us